Monday, February 27, 2006

Where are the Comedies?

We watched a couple of older movies this weekend and stumbled over a question: Why this lack of comedies requiring the viewer to think?
Don't get me wrong here, I really loved "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang[imdb.com]" last year and… Bingo, there is my problem. If I go (way) back in time, there was "Life of Brian(1979)[imdb.com]", "Young Frankenstein(1974)[imdb.com]", "The Blues Brothers(1980)[imdb.com]", "Airplane!(1980)[imdb.com]", you get my idea, don't you? (Provided you are old enough to have seen these movies, of course.)
Sure there are movies using humor like "State and Main(2000)", but again, five years ago. To be frank, I don't enjoy "humor" as in "American Pie" that much, I've seen it, I laughed, but that was basically it. Watched it once, wondered if I would watch it again and came to the conclusion "not really."
I wasn't aware about missing the kind of humor in the aforementioned movies until I watched "Love at Stake(1988)[imdb.com]" last weekend. Granted, not a real masterpiece, but it used a kind of humor that made my girlfriend say, "We should watch this again some time."
We tried to figure out why theses movies still are that much fun to watch. They are politically incorrect, the don't slap the humor in your face as in "let's explain why this joke is funny, shall we?" They expect the viewer to think along, draw conclusions based on miss-pronounced words and sometimes even stereotypes (without trying to explain them!). In short, they force you to think while watching and the complete lack of political correctness seems to help, a lot. Fast forward to now. Where are the "politically incorrect" movies, it's like no-one dares to make them anymore. Where are the producers (I really don't think that the writers are to blame here) bold enough to produce movies where not every joke is explained until nobody is laughing any more? It seems that being politically correct implies to explain a lot – to make sure everybody "gets it".
Is trying to be that politically correct in every aspect spoiling the fun out of watching movies? I'm not sure, but my gut-feeling tells me, it might be the case. Trying not to explain every funny situation, could be a start. The viewers are not stupid, they want to be entertained while using their brains.
My 2 cents.