The whole thing started out with one of the most feared things while writing a book[scary music, please]: THE BEGINNING. I had pondered over several versions, but came to no conclusion how to tackle it. Then the usual happened: Inspiration hit me while sitting on a train; my 12" has been acting up again (does not recognize the battery any more) and the only thing in reach was a legal pad. I grabbed it and wrote four pages in one go, besides one short interruption by the conductor, that is. The experience was wonderful, no distractions, no IMs, no e-mail, nothing. Words or phrases I wasn't sure about got a curly line, to be looked up later. I was able to write down my thoughts without any detours. Don't laugh, try it yourself. It is quite a different thing compared to hacking away at the keyboard.
The process (might be refined in the future, I'll let you know) works like this:
- I write on a legal pad or my Moleskine.
- After a while, I read the material again and
- type it into the computer and
- do the re-writes as I go.
Seriously, give it a try. Comments via e-mail, please. I'm still fighting with the comment-function.
Technorati Tags: Writing, longhand, writing a book in longhand

