Friday, December 15, 2006

Good Writing/TV: E-Ring

The TV-show E-Ring is [IMHO, of course] one shining example for good writing. Granted, the better the writing, the higher the probability to get some people on the fences. I'm not talking about the subject, I'm talking about the execution of the job, it is flawless. Why don't we see more fast-paced TV-shows like this?

A quick detour: Fast-paced—in that respect—does not imply 120 cuts per minute (or more), as sometimes shown in CSI:NY. I like all incarnations of the CSI-franchise, but CSI:NY always goes to the bottom of my subjective list, if the editors think they need to do faster cuts to increase the pace of the story. But that is another post … ;-)

Back to E-Ring. It might be easier for the script-writer(s) to compose a convincing story, if they can rely on excellent actors. And E-Ring like, e.g. The 4400, has an excellent choice of actors and actresses. Dennis Hopper as Col. McNulty and Benjamin Bratt as Maj. Tisnewski are to be considered a gift for every writer. The same goes for Aunjanue Ellis and Kelly Rutherford. OK, I have to cut into this list; there has been no actor or actress in E-Ring (regarding the episodes I've seen so far) who seems to be wrong for the part or wouldn't have been my first choice, as well. It would be interesting to hear from the writers, if they would have casted someone else for certain parts, though. I'm not saying that I know all actors and actresses available, but it simply fits.

This is a TV-show which I consider as a good example how things should be done.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,