I finally had the chance to watch The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. (I know I'm late to the party, so?) It's hard to describe this movie to someone who has not seen it, but here it goes:
The humor is subtle and this is not a bad thing, IMHO. It is not the kind of movie where everyone in the audience bursts out laughing, but all people "getting" the humor will smile for most of the 120 minutes. It's been a long time since a script managed to get me smiling almost all the time.
Some comments I found compare the movie to Brazil, but I think it's more in line with The Royal Tenenbaums, the latter is no real surprise—both movies were co-written and directed by Wes Anderson. The writing is flawless and the cast is a perfect match to the story to be told, it's futile to name names here, every actor / actress fits perfectly for the respective part.
My Take: This will be a movie with a cult-like following. Go see it, if you haven't already done so.
Technorati Tags: The Live Aquatic, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, William Dafoe

