Monday, September 19, 2005

A Reason to upgrade?

I've been busy working on a music project that kind of dragged along (I promised to master a CD containing my tracks and didn't find the time to do it).
Originally I decided to postpone the upgrade of my favorite music software, Reason, until I would finish the project. Yeah right…
The temptation was too strong, the new mastering tools to interesting, and anyway, I was simply nosy how it would compare. So I installed the 3.0 version of the program: WOW!
First the downside, the new possibilities are tempting, one has a hard time to fight the temptation to just tweak that sound a little. I will resist (until tomorrow I guess). One of the reasons (pun intended) is the fact, that the latest patch (3.0.4) is a new install including the usual serial number shebang, etc. On the other hand, I'm glad and thankful that I do not have to use an USB dongle like in the other program I'm using. Actually using less often and thinking about abandoning it completely. Granted, one cannot compare the two programs, but using a dongle with my 12" PowerBook is a nuisance, PERIOD.
Back to Reason (couldn't resist), the new binary churns along on the last CD and should be ready within the next couple of minutes and I'm still entertaining the thought of staying on track, being strong, resist the temptation to change just some little things, blah, blah, blah…
The new mastering tools are awesome! You really have to hear for yourself, if you should be into music production, do yourself a favor, check this program out! (No, I do not get any favors from the Propellerheads for saying this.)
[update]The new binary didn't nag me about the serial number, let's hope it won't ask me about one of the additional CDs while I'm sitting on a plane or a train, let's keep the fingers crossed.