Thursday, September 01, 2005

Tiger: Slow browsing...

After I installed Tiger, the whole system felt quicker, more responsive. Certain websites rendered like molasses, though.
I kept wondering for some days now, until I remembered that the advertisement punishment system was not in place. Said system works like this: If an online ad does certain things, it (or better its host) gets punished by me:

  1. Playing sounds -- VERY BAD, I sometimes surf next to my sleeping girlfriend

  2. Using 1 pixel gifs or pngs -- VERY BAD, I don't like to be spied upon

  3. Distributing malware -- Do I really need to comment on this?

  4. Loading lots of small .js files -- Either do it right or don't do it!

  5. A couple of other things judged by a more personal nature...


You might guess where I am heading here: /etc/hosts.
Sites deserving punishment end up in my hosts-file with an IP-address of 0.0.0.0. Restart the lookupd or reboot, instant relief.
Don’t get me wrong here, I know that advertising funds many websites; that is the price I have to pay for free. The only thing I ask for is, do not annoy me! That’s all. I do not use any other ad-blocking software, that is my part of the deal.
BTW: Pop-Ups or Pop-Unders are VERY BAD.
;-)