Sunday, January 08, 2006

Scriptwriting: The Sequence of Buttons

While watching "When Worlds Collide (1951)" [imdb] something odd struck me: why do all controls in the space-ship have to be pressed in another sequence than they are built into the console? Every time, if I'm not mistaken.
It could be for the dramatic effect, some idea of the director (Rudolph Maté), or something completely different, but still …
My theory is: it is done this way to demonstrate that not every ordinary person would be able to press the right buttons in the right sequence. This very behavior sticks with the genre and always puts a smile on my face. The sheer thought, that an engineer would create a console with the controls out of a meaningful sequence on it, seems to be a bit far-fetched, don't you think?
On a related note, the story is in production again. Script by Stephen Sommers [imdb]. I hope the spirit of the original will stay. I really like the movie, you know.