Tuesday, January 10, 2006

When should a DVD be released?

After reading the article Fixing broken windows (and the comments, of course), a couple of thoughts popped into my mind.
If the DVD would be on sale in the theater, then I could make a decision right away. I would ask if I'd be harassed by either one of the ridiculous You paid to see the movie, you must be a pirate commercials or by some person nagging me about my cell, if so – and I'm still interested to see the movie – I'd buy the DVD. If I happen to be in a bad mood, then I could do the same thing I do with DRMed CDs, ignore the movie and do something else.
Let's face it, going to the movies with my girlfriend and/or a couple of friends is not the same experience it used to be. Especially if I'm not in the country the movie is shown first. If the film should not be available in theaters in the country I'm in at the moment, and won't be so within a week or two, then I prefer to watch it on DVD in the week it came out instead of getting the plot spoiled via TV or any other medium. Secondly, an evening in the cinema usually costs the same amount I'd have to shell out for the DVD anyway, and I'm talking the first couple of weeks the DVD is available.
I understand that theaters have to make money, but do the have to bombard me with commercials for a solid twenty to thirty minutes? I don't think so. I skipped some movies in the theater for that very reason.
BTW: I'm BFC (before first coffee) right now, I might add some more thoughts later.