I recently discovered, that Spotlight couldn't find a certain file I was sure I had created a couple of days ago. The obvious choice would be the command
sudo mdutil -E /to reset the indices, but not everyone feels like using the Terminal-program (and I did not want to wait for Spotlight to re-index all my harddisks) so I tried something different. I opened the Spotlight-Preferences and switched to the "Privacy"-Tab

If you drag a folder, or even a hard-disk-icon into this list, Spotlight excludes the object(s) in this list from indexing and searching. You might ask, "and this is useful because … ?" It's not the excluding, it's the removal from the exclusion-list. If you remove an object from the list, Spotlight re-indexes the object in question.
So there you have it, selective rebuilding of Spotlights indices, give it a try.
Technorati Tags: OS X, Spotlight, Spotlight Index, Spotlight index rebuild

