What is he talking about this time? Is the current book-project to taxing for him? ;-) No, not at all; OK maybe a little, but I digress. What I'm talking about is the fact that there is (at least sometimes) the need to do a little training, this holds true for most aspects of life, if we like it or not. Be it sports, be it driving, be it (you already guessed it, didn't you?) writing. Most of us know one or more techniques to get the creative juices flowing. (Maybe I should have tagged "know" with an emphasis?) Seriously, when was the last time you used one of the techniques you learned in "Creative Writing 101" or some book / article / take your pick? Don't be afraid, no one will hear your answer. Thought so. Same goes for me, by the way. One major drawback is time we couldn't afford to spend, because it might interfere with our daily work. On the other hand, as outlined in the post about writersblock, we don't have a choice anyway, at least sometimes. But this is not the subject of this post. Moving on.
Time-constraints are to be taken seriously by any writer, since we get paid for the work we are supposed to do. That's the reason I call this home gym, as in doing it while not at work. My best guess is, that all of us need to keep up with some types of events, the subject of said events is not important in respect to this exercise. This means though, we are processing information—in one way or another—not related with the work at hand, usually while we are not working. One well-known exercise is to take a news-item and write a short story about it; I don't know about you, but I always develop a kind of guilt writing some longer piece while I'm supposed to finish something else, could be just me, though. I therefore came up with a simplified variant of aforementioned exercise.
I take a book, the newspaper, or whatever seems convenient and put pencil-markers without looking in the text, usually five to ten. I then write down the marked words and eliminate everything thats not an adverb, a verb, or a subject. The first three hits win, everything else is discarded without looking. The exercise is to write something meaningful in five to ten sentences using the three words. If the result seems to be interesting, it gets filed into my ideas-folder. Done.
This technique might be in the wild already—it feels like a given to me—but still …
Happy exercising in your own "Writers Home Gym."
I came up with a couple of other exercises, if I don't feel too embarrassed, I'll share them with you in the coming weeks.
Technorati Tags: writers home gym, writing, writing exercise

