I wrote about my outlining tool earlier, and how I do my writing at the moment. I'm still convinced, that this is the way to go.
Are you the "index-card shuffling type?" Or do you like the fact that paper can be rearranged to play with different flows of a plot; maybe get even new ideas from doing so? Do you prefer to have the details of your characters in plain sight, maybe on printed sheets? Next to an outline of your story? I do, and I've been told, that I'm an analog writer, who should resort to a keyboard in the drafting-phase of my work and keep the research on paper. (OK, I kind of stereotyped a bit, so?) Anyway, this way of working on my stories/articles/etc. seems to mirror the way my brain is working, I feel comfortable this way. I might be even more productive, but—frankly—I don't like this term in respect to the craft of writing. Or should I say art? Don't get me wrong here, I prefer my Mac to a typewriter, but creative writing and "where is the file I wrote the opening for chapter four again?" doesn't feel right for me.
Quick intermission:
If you do not use a Macintosh computer to write—one which runs at least 10.4 (Tiger), to be precise—don't read on, you'll regret it. Don't complain, that you haven't been warned. On the other hand, maybe you should read on and just keep in mind, that I placed this Link. Do not click on it! Read on and remember that it's there. Use it, if you should get the feeling you might have made a mistake in the past.
Back to the regular program.
The thing I was missing was a program that mimics these habits when it comes to getting my notes into the computer. Until a couple of days ago, that is. At that time, I found the program Scrivener. Actually, I did not find the program itself, but people raving about it (does that matter?). I downloaded the test-version, followed the tutorial and about thirty minutes later I saw the light. Finally a piece of software that allows me to work like I do. Everything belonging to a writing-project is neatly tucked away on the left-hand side of the window, and with "tucked away" I mean hierarchical folders, one tree called "Draft" and another one called "Research." Everything can be dragged and dropped there and incorporated in the workflow. Got a sound-file which would play on your Mac? Drop it in and listen to it while writing the summary of it. The first thing that comes to mind is, sound-file? I can put my interviews into the same application I'm writing about it? Sure, go ahead. What about the controls? How do I pause and play said sound-file, without switching windows? Your are able to split the main editing window up to four times, great to keep an eye on outlines, character-bios and the playing sound-file. The whole project is auto-saved, one can concentrate on writing the next blockbuster. "Blockbuster?" Right, I think I forgot, Scrivener is not only great for writing novels, articles, etc. it also allows you to switch to a "screenwriting-mode" or even to "stage-play mode" (US and UK) to cater to the needs of scriptwriting. Imagine for a second, you load your best-selling book into Scrivener, split the main window and start to craft the script in the upper or lower part of your screen (depending on your preferences). Scrivener allows to export the work in a variety of formats (even LaTex) and to be typeset by the program of your (or your publisher's) choice.
I could go on for quite a while, but my suggestion is: Go to the Literature and Latte website, click on the Scrivener link and download the try-out version. It's fully functional and there is nothing more convincing than seeing with ones own eyes, is there? I have a couple of final tests to run, but I think I will switch (provided I can make the program work with subversion).
No, I don't get paid for this article, I just love the program. What about the link in the upper part of this post? Well, if you should use a non-Macintosh computer, go up, and if you click it, you'll find the information to make the program work on your future computer. ;-)
Technorati Tags: script-writing, Scrivener, Writing

