Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Writing: My Outline-Tools


Maybe I'm a traditionalist, I prefer to do research and outlining everywhere I go using a notebook and a pen. The pen is my writer's pet-peeve, I am convinced that I need exactly this pen to write in my notebook. Maybe it's because it writes with gel instead of ink, maybe it's just a superstition.
The notebook is a Moleskine, but that is just my personal preference (192 thread-bound Pages should get me through my running projects). Forget all the marketing hype about looking like the notebook used by Indiana Jones, etc. What I like about the notebook is the fact that it is sturdy enough to let me write on both sides while holding with one hand. Another important thing (for me), it never complains about drained batteries (yes I carry a spare refill for my pen with me, always).
Using this approach allows me to do a first rewrite while typing my notes on the computer. Finding entries in the notebook takes a little discipline, the last five pages are my index to the contents of the book. I just have to add the page number to the index, and, obviously number the pages as I write.