One has to download the updated list of vulnerabilities first,
download-vulnerability-listand then check the current installation:
audit-packages -vThe
-v means (surprisingly) be verbose, but it is not as verbose as I had hoped (I'm really nosy and want to know what is happening).
One thing I like about NetBSD so far, is the fact that it does (almost) nothing behind my back, like messing with files in the
/etc tree, to the best of my knowledge, that is.Do I really have to do this by hand, every day?Not really,
cron is there to rescue you, of course; simply check the man-page for audit-packages. This might sound strange to readers used to simply click on a button to initiate such a sequence or to configure the system to do so on a recurring basis. The Dark Secret™is: clicking on the respective buttons does just that; either a script is fired that executes commands similar to the ones shown or an entry in the
crontab is created.Why should you care? Your shiny GUI does everything for you, doesn't it? My point of view is simple: I want to know what is going on. If something does not seem to work as intended, I will know where to look. Besides, it is my computer and I expect this box to do what I want it to do, nothing less. Don't you agree?

