... if you use your PowerBook to make music, that is. The Altivec unit in a G4/G5 enables me to use a greater number of soft-synths while sitting somewhere nice, e.g. beach, park, take your pick. Intels are nice but know nothing about vector processing — needed to use soft-synths or effects without taxing the CPU of my little 12" too much. Since nobody managed to convince me otherwise, using a 32-bit architecture — totally oblivious of number-crunching — means that I need a separate chip in my laptop to do what I'm used to do.
Big deal, why should I care?
Because another chip in your laptop needs additional power, a.k.a. draining your batteries faster.
But the Pentium umpteen WGMXBRDG is clocked at a gazillion megahertz, it can handle that!
See answer one.
IMHO, two things are making me a little queasy regarding the switch to Intel:
- It seems there will be no 64-bit computing on Apples in the near future.
- According to the docs I saw so far, no vector-processing, not even a compatibility layer for it.
We'll have to wait and see, I guess.