PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Silly thoughts like
pen and paper again?or
if you want to get on my nerves, think what will happen if I throw you out of the window!; the latter is, based on the price of a Mac, an empty threat, of course.
Time to switch from panic-mode to
let's fix this-mode.
I headed to the excellent macosxhints.com and started searching.
Why didn't you use MacFixIt?, you may ask. Because the last thing I need is a
This content is for subscribers onlymessage while in panic-mode, period.
During the transition from panic-mode to
let's fix this-mode, I made use of the 19+ years of *NIX experience. Single-User mode,
fsck -fy, did not help. (Hint: to get a Mac into Single-User mode, press the Apple-key and the S-key simultaneously after you hear the startup-sound.)I used another account to repeat the steps with Safari, everything works as expected. So it has to be something in my account. One of the searches revealed another direction to go: caches.
I
cded to the following directories and used my trusty friend of old: rm -r *:~/Library/Caches/Library/Caches/System/Library/Cachesand while in the vicinity, I deleted
/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache as well.To cut a long story short, everything seems to work again. I posted the steps in case someone needs to solve a similar problem.
BTW: Before doing anything like the steps described, back up first!

