Tuesday, November 29, 2005

It starts to get annoying!

I'm about to cancel my subscription to the Music Perspectives PodCast. Don't get me wrong, I've been listening to it for quite some time now and I think it is excellent, BUT I can't take the lame Don't steal music stuff any longer. It's probably not even Ed Justen's fault that I am annoyed, but everybody has to draw a line somewhere and the last Music Perspectives PodCast contained this stupid line and this time it was one to many.
I DO NOT STEAL MUSIC! And I really don't like to be a suspected thief, either. If the record companies consider me a paying enemy, then I'm not interested in doing business with them.
My stand regarding DRM is simple – really simple in fact – if a CD contains DRM I ignore the artist. Completely, zilch, I'm not interested. The artist does not exist for me, period. I won't download anything from the artist, I won't buy the CD, I actually will switch the channel on the radio or TV when said artist appears, end of story.
This may sound extreme, but as I said, everybody has to draw the line somewhere. If I really care about an artist, then I will send an e-mail, explaining my view of the world to the artist. I do not expect an answer, though.
I am a published writer, but I would never think of putting a Don't copy my books, please anywhere, neither spoken, nor in writing. It is a matter of trust, you know.
;-)