Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Writing: Organizing Ideas

After reading The end of One Big Text File at MacDevCenter.com, I found that I'm not alone in my approach. But (a big one, as always) I still advocate using lists, more than one, that is. As I wrote in my book Unix/Linux Survival Guide, I tend to keep lists leaning to a certain subject. They hold all the bits of information I deemed interesting at a time, but are too small or insignificant to create a whole file for one of them alone. On *NIX, these directories can be greped, on OS X they can be spotlight(ed) or greped.
Bigger ideas (think information spread over more than one paragraph) go into their own files with a speaking name. This mode of operation allows me to browse the little ideas or information on a certain subject for inspiration. No, they do not migrate into their own file if I expand on them. I want to preserve the bits a subject started from, when you start polishing something, a.k.a. rewrite it to fit a special purpose, some of the original information could get lost. Said information might give me an insight from a different angle and I don't want to loose that.